Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Today we visited two gambian schools. It was quite an experience. I am starting to get very excited about the next stage in my journey... village life will be very different. I have been learning about how to filter and treat my water, how to recognize and treat different diseases and conditions, and how to travel safely. By the way, I need to make a few corrections to earlier blogs. I mentioned that the Fula people are the third largest ethnic group in the Gambia, but they are actually the second largest behind the Mandinka. They are not predominant here in the urban areas though...but they will be more so as I travel upcountry. So sorry about the misprint. Also, the town I went to a few days ago is spelled Bakau, not Basau. I get a little confused with the accents around here sometimes. I will try to post one last time tomorrow before I dissapear into the bush on Friday!

4 comments:

Dave Greene said...

Kristy,
It's fascinating to read your blog-and I'm sad that you won't be able to keep it up when you move to your village.
I missed the jam last night, on a plane coming back from California. I hate to miss.
Other than that, nothing exciting here.

Julie said...

Hey girl! i hope this finds you one last time before you travel into the village! i'm so excited for you and i love your informative blogs and correction! :>) You rock and i am thinking of you ofte! Got a message from Jen last night reminding me that we would have been on the Gondola on the way to Yonder last night...crazy to think about, huh?
love you dearly and i will now start writing you letters....let's see how long it takes to reach you....
have fun!
xoxo julie :>)

Rian said...

Hey there! Thanks for the correction - I was going to say something, but you beat me too it... :) Kidding! I love your blog, and I hope you find some way to keep it up if only intermittedly. Sounds like you're having such an amazing experience. I'm so proud of you! Love you lots and lots, Rian

Kelly said...

Hey Campbell,

Hope you made it to your village destination safely and are assimilating okay. I can't wait to see some pics of the African land. Do post if you can. Any plans for your birthday in your village?
Love u much, Kelly